Re: (Article) Search Engines Lead to Site Monopolies?

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 07:42:41 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>__/ [ Big Bill ] on Sunday 20 August 2006 07:37 \__

>>>It's a lot less complicated than that.  AT&T and AOL are paying tens of
>>>millions of dollars to lobby (buy/pay-off) the American Government.
>>>Due to monopolies on Search Engines, ISPs, television, news networks,
>>>and major newspapers - they were able to keep the bill (that they are
>>>trying to pass) out of the public's eye.
>>>
>>>Only a couple days before the House passed the bill was it brought to
>>>our attention; I found out from the CEO of Google (who is the only
>>>search engine that is standing up for Net-Neutrality, freedom of
>>>speech, and first ammendment rights on the Internet).
>>>
>>>They plan to make two tiers of internet service - not modem vs.
>>>broadband, but broadband that is deliberately slowed to discourage
>>>access to sites that do not pay monopolies for priority service.  They
>>>also want the ability to blacklist or ban any sites that compete with
>>>them or threaten them by using such things as "facts" or "the truth".
>>>
>>>If we hadn't found out, they would have paid Congress off and the bill
>>>would have passed without any Net-Neutrality provisions.  This is the
>>>same exact way that they bought laws that give them the ability to lie
>>>to your face on CNN and major networks a few years back.  Hopefully the
>>>Senators will read the bill (this time) before they allow it to become
>>>a law that will destroy the Internet as we know it.  Any Senator that
>>>is pro-monopoly, pro-bribery, and anti-first-ammendment is
>>>ANTI-AMERICAN and will not be voted for again (there is a list).  And I
>>>wonder who the House of Representatives is "representing".
>>>
>>>We don't want to be like Communist China where they need government (or
>>>telecom) approval to post your opinions on the Internet.
>>>
>>>Preserve Net-Neutrality unless you want the monopolies to "sell" page
>>>ranks.
>>>
>>>please help http://www.savetheinternet.com
>>>
>>>- The King of Men
>>
>> We won't worry about this, of course, because there'll be nowhere we
>> can read about it. It's a good move on the part of the authorities.
>> Educate the people sufficiently and they wouldn't be the authorities
>> for much longer. Control the news outlets, the flow of information,
>> and the peasants will always only ever be peasants - long live the
>> system!
>
>For what it's worth, this problem is not only detrimental in totality. It's
>very common in captilism where corporations nest some government lobbyists.
>Proof to both argument are actually contained in this thread...
>
>The King of Men makes some good points and by no means exaggerate. I see a
>lot of that in the software industry, but it's the same when it comes to
>engineering, national politics and world affairs (from nano to macro).

In that we only get the views on these things that the service
providers (Fox etc) choose to give us. Thus, by omissions in reporting
leading to skewed perspectives, we're presented with the view of the
wold and all events in it that the big corporations and their
political affiliates wish us to see. This is the whole point of
Myspace, I think, it's not for entertainment, it's to bring a
generation of the young up believing that Myspace, with it's
pseudo-complete internet experience, is actually the read deal. That
way you can tell'em anything you want and it'll never occur to them to
check elsewhere for corroboration.

BB
--

http://www.kruse.co.uk/affordable-website-promotion-services.htm