Re: [News] Sun Continues Open-Sourcing SPARC CPU

GreyCloud <mist@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> yttrx wrote:
>
>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>>__/ [ yttrx ] on Friday 18 August 2006 10:04 \__

>>>You touched a gentle spot. Remotely, yes. In fact, I use a Solaris server
>>>every day, for FTP (not just for Telnet). I also worked with people who used
>>>Solaris almost exclusively. But I stuck with Red Hat at the time. Care to
>>>explain why you asked that question? I must have missed something or said
>>>something inaccurate, so corrections would be appreciated. *smile* And, yes,
>>>I know about performance of Sun server being highly superior to many others.
>>>It's the price and suitability for home use that put me off. BSD has some
>>>similar issues.
>>

>> What I'm saying is that your argument that linux renders sun obsolete is
>> an argument of business theory, not of technology.  I think the point
>> that the argument is not one of technology needs to be made very clearly.
>
> Check out this dual core ultra-20 m2.
>
> http://store.sun.com/CMTemplate/CEServlet?process=SunStore&cmdViewProduct_CP&catid=131490
>
> For $995, it is a pretty nice deal.

VERY sweet deal.

In my experience, Sun processors have continually outpaced both Intel and
AMD by a large margin, and are neck-and-neck with IBM's POWER series (the
latest being POWER5).  Their architecture and longevity is simply superior.

Of course, a machine based on either of those processors isn't the sort
of thing you'd buy in order to play Oblivion, but if you're into UNIX or
UNIX-like operating systems, they're quite choice.

-----yttrx

--
http://www.yttrx.net