Re: Linux Desktops Come to Another 320 US Stores

__/ [ casioculture@xxxxxxxxx ] on Wednesday 16 August 2006 16:00 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Giant Retailer Chooses SUSE Linux Enterprise Platform to Run Desktops and
>> Servers
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Novell today announced that one of the largest home furnishings
>> | retailers in the United States is installing SUSE Linux Enterprise
>> | Desktop 10 from Novell on all of its in-store sales terminals across
>> | more than 320 stores.
>> `----
>>
>>                 http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060815/sftu087.html?.v=68
>
> Great demonstration http://www.novell.com/linux/demos/desktop.html

That's an excellent demo that I have never seen before. There many more that
are less of a 'directed effort' at:

http://osvids.com/

There are also promotional videos at:

http://www.libervis.com/video_compilation_on_free_digital_culture

This includes:

,----[ Videos index ]
| The Corruptibles
| Trusted Computing - Sounds great. Does it?
| Choice
| Truth Happens (video by RedHat)
| Inevitable
| "Prodigy" IBM Linux Advertisement
| Eben Moglen on Free Software
| Cory Doctorow on threats to Free Culture
| Lawrence Lessig speech on Free Culture
`----

Some of these (and more) appear in:

http://www.redhat.com/truthhappens/

Also see:

http://www.novell.com/video/

You know that Linux has gone mainstream when it has got so deeply entwined
with the production industry. Apple is heading down the same road. It seems
to have begun several years ago with the introduction of the iPod. And 12%
of today's laptops (or those that are sold) are iBooks. Most of the
remainder are sold with Windows (some are sold blank, e.g. Novatach in the
UK, which gives Linux-ready laptops). Many of these will be immediately
converted to Linux or be dual-boot laptops with GNU/Linux. I suspect that,
quite inevitably, we shall be seeing a lot of Linux on TV. What's more,
every Motorola, or Sony Playstation, or Nintendo Wii is a Linux device
(among so many other brands that head in this direction).

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz, Ph.D. Candidate (Medical Biophysics)
         run-level 5  Jul 20 12:15                   last=S