Re: Linux Desktops Come to Another 320 US Stores

__/ [ Rex Ballard ] on Wednesday 16 August 2006 15:41 \__

> [...]
> emphasis on those areas in which Microsoft had a minor advantage in the
> opening paragraphs, putting those areas where Linux excelled and giving
> them very little importance or weight.  Many benchmarks published in
> Microsoft's fast-facts have references which eventually lead to the
> "Linux is superior" benchmark, or it's tombstone.
>
>       4.  Make any alterations to the installation image, without
> Microsoft's prior written approvial.  This clause can be used to
> prevent OEMs from installing multiple partitions (allowing Linux users
> to conver the partiition to Linux), from installing boot managers
> (allowing users to select between Linux and Windows at boot time), from
> installing Linux first and then installing Windows as a VM Client or
> emulated package, or from using the Microsoft licensed libraries to
> support Windows emulation such as WINE, Win4Lin, or Crossover.
>
> Notice that NONE of these abuses of these clauses are explicitly stated
> in the actual License agreement, but violation of ANY of them by not
> getting Microsoft's prior wirtten approval could result in revocation
> of all unsold licenses for that product line, or for the ALL licenses
> previously granted to the OEM.
>
> Ironically, there is no provision for the compliance officer to review
> these requests for permision, nor is there any provision for such
> requests to be reviewed by the technical comittee, nor is there any
> provision for appealing the denial of such requests to the team
> representing the DOJ.  In fact, any attempt to do so would be a
> violation of the nondisclosure agreements which are ALSO part of the
> license agreement.
>
> Because Microsoft has been able to argue for these clauses in
> noncompetitive terms, for example, having the OEMs reccommend Windows
> XP instead of Windows 98, the Judge has not been able to nullify the
> clauses themselves.  An yet, it is very clear to everyone that
> Microsoft is in direct contempt of the part of the court order that
> forbids them from interfering with OEM attempts to market machines with
> Linux.
>
> Ironically, Microsoft has also made it very clear that they plan to use
> the "Ring Zero" priviledges in Vista to permenantly lock-out Linux, and
> to make Vista incapable of starting unless it is the primary operating
> system.  Microsoft has openly defied the court and is simply trying to
> buy time until the settlement expires before "locking down" these
> machines.
>
> The irony is that the marketplace may end up being the ultimate court.
> With hundreds of millions of Linux appliances, servers, and
> workstations already on the market, and Linux still growing at 40-50%
> per year while Microsoft's market depends on replacement of existing
> Windows systems, it's quite likely that the OEMs and large corporations
> will be ready to "revolt" long before the officers appointed by the
> courts decide to actually try to do their job.

Rex,

I appreciate the detailed writeups. While I read them wholly, I can't reply
to everything. So here are the links that support some of this discussion.

Red Hat: Microsoft still 'aggressive as hell'

http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-6078854.html?part=rss&tag=6078854&subj=news

Novell sees desktop Linux success, if Microsoft plays fair

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp is using scare tactics to exert pressure on PC vendors
| not to explore the potential of desktop Linux, according to Novell
| Inc president and COO, Ron Hovsepian
`----

http://www.commentwire.com/article_news.asp?guid=2044AB5A-59CA-4EC3-AD3F-73DF7BC4F8E0
(link now broken)

Ron Hovsepian is, of course, Novell's CEO now. I believe that I read (at
least) one more article where Novell expresses its concerns over Microsoft's
flirt with the OEM's. And speaking of which, a month ago in Germany, Intel
was said to pull the same trick to tackle AMD uptake. The long-standing
relationship between Intel and Microsoft executives sets alight a few red
warnings.