Re: Intel kernel sources available once again

begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Sunday 13 August 2006 18:18 \__
>
>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Sunday 13 August 2006 11:00 \__

>>> Let them just open it, wait a few months and then behold some shocking
>>> videos... (warning: do not follow link if you cannot stand the sight of OS
>>> X used on professional hardware, rather than white and beige toys)
>>>
>>> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7540321621291755467
>>>
>>> So they can either accept it and face reality, or close the kernel again,
>>> declare a freeze on further development of forks (people could probably
>>> make Leopard available for your AMD). With Intel processors, Mac OS X
>>> piracy is here to stay and most probably extend. So Apple will probably
>>> call some legal bodies to start a new reign of terror.
>>>
>>> The only thing to prevent this is probably the advancement of Linux with
>>> stunning technologies like Compiz/XGL. After all, people liked OS X for
>>> its eye candy. At the time (when the kernel was open), XGL was not yet
>>> ready. The wobbling menus were an experimental feature in Red Hat's lab
>>> while Novell extended some things further. But it's still in testing...
>>> almost ready for prime time on a production- or server-type environment.
>>> I'm not sure if you have already seen it demonstrated on dual-head:
>>>
>>> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3085800747013767131&hl=en
>>>

>> No wonder Microsoft have been holding up Vista.  That is a truly
>> impressive demo.  I'm not sure what the practical usage would be of
>> this, but perhaps it could be useful for data-mining applications, with
>> an n-sided object offering different ways into data structures, each
>> underlying layer having another n-sides.  For visualisation of
>> relational database information, it could be good;  also, it could be
>> useful for exploring highly layered environments, like networks.
>
> Interesting point. The revolving cube is often said to be useless (depends
> who you ask). I never thought about it before, but one could rotate cube
> (it's not strictly a cube, nor is it a box... it can have 8 sides, or more)
> to explore rows and columns, as well as view a collection of nodes in
> applications that embed and support a Z-axis/buffer. This would be wonderful
> for modelling (modellers have view-point in a windows, which is not the
> same). This could also convince software makers to port their application to
> GNU/Linux where they have more versatility, for productivity. Useless 3-D?
> That's 'flip mode' in Vista. Bloody impractical. Windows are cascaded such
> that they conceal one another.

I'm sure that the revolving polygon could be /extremely/ useful as a
user interface into all kinds of data structures.  The possibility to
explore something from different angles is extremely useful anyway, and
this capability has been exploited, albeit in a "flat" way since Lotus
introduced 3-d spreadsheets (or was that a 123 add-in from someone
else?).

In any case, the capability to build 3d linked mathematical models was
very useful, so imagine being able to explore the data from that kind of
perspective in the first place?

The concept could be extended, with different faces of the object being
displayed on different linked monitors, perhaps being able to cycle them
either linked or separately;  bit like a screen session!

The way to a man's heart is through the left ventricle.