Re: Intel kernel sources available once again

  • Subject: Re: Intel kernel sources available once again
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 18:56:50 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Sunday 13 August 2006 18:18 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Sunday 13 August 2006 11:00 \__
>>
>>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> I suspect that it's much too little and much too late.  As they've
>>> pulled out once, why not again, say, next year?
>>
>> Let them just open it, wait a few months and then behold some shocking
>> videos... (warning: do not follow link if you cannot stand the sight of OS
>> X used on professional hardware, rather than white and beige toys)
>>
>> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7540321621291755467
>>
>> So they can either accept it and face reality, or close the kernel again,
>> declare a freeze on further development of forks (people could probably
>> make Leopard available for your AMD). With Intel processors, Mac OS X
>> piracy is here to stay and most probably extend. So Apple will probably
>> call some legal bodies to start a new reign of terror.
>>
>> The only thing to prevent this is probably the advancement of Linux with
>> stunning technologies like Compiz/XGL. After all, people liked OS X for
>> its eye candy. At the time (when the kernel was open), XGL was not yet
>> ready. The wobbling menus were an experimental feature in Red Hat's lab
>> while Novell extended some things further. But it's still in testing...
>> almost ready for prime time on a production- or server-type environment.
>> I'm not sure if you have already seen it demonstrated on dual-head:
>>
>> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3085800747013767131&hl=en
>>

> No wonder Microsoft have been holding up Vista.  That is a truly
> impressive demo.  I'm not sure what the practical usage would be of
> this, but perhaps it could be useful for data-mining applications, with
> an n-sided object offering different ways into data structures, each
> underlying layer having another n-sides.  For visualisation of
> relational database information, it could be good;  also, it could be
> useful for exploring highly layered environments, like networks.

Interesting point. The revolving cube is often said to be useless (depends
who you ask). I never thought about it before, but one could rotate cube
(it's not strictly a cube, nor is it a box... it can have 8 sides, or more)
to explore rows and columns, as well as view a collection of nodes in
applications that embed and support a Z-axis/buffer. This would be wonderful
for modelling (modellers have view-point in a windows, which is not the
same). This could also convince software makers to port their application to
GNU/Linux where they have more versatility, for productivity. Useless 3-D?
That's 'flip mode' in Vista. Bloody impractical. Windows are cascaded such
that they conceal one another.

Best wishes,

Rou
--
Roy S. Schestowitz      | Holey (sic) Cow! Longhorn is full of holes...
roy      pts/4                         Sun Aug 13 16:33 - 16:33  (00:00)