Re: [News] Military Favours Linux

__/ [ BearItAll ] on Tuesday 15 August 2006 08:12 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Write as We Fight
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Open source software also undergoes intense scrutiny. Linux, for
>> | example, has attracted 120,000 programmers, who not only contribute to
>> | development, but who also review it for flaws. "Given enough eyeballs,
>> | all bugs are shallow," states Linus's law.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.military-information-technology.com/article.cfm?DocID=1589
>
> She isn't a very good writter is she, it was a struggle to read it, I had
> to skip bits to stop my brain scrambling.

I only had a glance through the paragraphs (usually for first few words, just
to get a 'taste'). I can recall that I failed to grasp the overall idea/key
message. Reading the first and last paragraph/section didn't help either.
Still, it's better than articles that have no paragraphs, headings, or
figures with captions.

> It attracted my attention though because I was interested in how they came
> up with the figure of 120,000 programmers. It didn't answer it and I can't
> think how they could come up with a number.

That number surprised me as well. Bear in mind, however, that Java reigns a
good proportion of Freshmeat and Sourceforge. It's a 'one stone hits all
birds' (platforms).

> There are so many projects going on internationally, even going by
> sourceforge, the site front tends not to give away the huge number of
> projects going on underneath. All of the sub sites and so on. (Though I
> must say the newest interface we have makes it easier to find things).

True. I love it. But I am also saddened to hear stories from people who moved
their projects to Google('s OSS project hosting) and are now raving about
how much easier it is to use. "SourceForge is a usability nightmare"; "Ever
since I moved to Google, the download count has increased"...

> Then they are other sites for bringing developers together.
>
> Then the commercial groups.
>
> I don't know if 120,000 is acurate, seems very high, but internationally
> the number of programmers/developers/testers/document writers/tutorial
> writers might bring us towards that number.
>
> Might be nice to know the true figure.

It's probably capacity that matters more than that figure. Open Source
project are -- to most people -- a pasttime activity.