Re: [News] One Linux Laptop for Each Child in Thailand?

begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ Hadron Quark ] on Monday 14 August 2006 15:54 \__
>
>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>
>>> __/ [ John A. Bailo ] on Monday 14 August 2006 15:32 \__

>>> Your professor was a smart pedagogue. Programming is syntax-depedent.
>>> Concepts and skills cling to one's mind for understanding of a paradigm,
>>> as well as improving problem-solving skills. See the foundation of one of
>>> the fathers of Computer Science.
>>
>> Actually, the choice of the language can and does totally change the
>> structure of the program. Moving between languages also includes a
>> paradigm shift.
>>

>>> http://www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~uno/books.html
>>>
>>> From practical exercise to 'art'. One-to-one sessions that we had as
>>> undergraduates involve nothing but classic lateral thinking riddles. It
>>> was strange. But, in the long term, these seem more valuable than
>>> memorisation of keywords and API's.
>>
>> I woudl agree that any good programmer can generally move between
>> languages : albeit resulting in inefficient and non "standard" code
>> which often falls down due to his inability to spot potential weaknesses
>> in his chosen data representations for that language. I good LISP
>> programmer is not going to walk into assembler or C for example.
>

> True to a degree. Returning to this case of lateral thinking and solving of
> puzzles, this is probably intended to, among other things, to improve the
> ability to spot awkward bugs and reason about code. These skills are
> generic. Language-specific skills can be harnessed quickly by reading some
> books, as well as through experience. But the former skills remain tricky to
> gain.

If you understand how the machine actually works, then understanding
programming is not so difficult.  Certain types of algorithm can be a
little confusing to a beginner, and more complex state-machines can be
tricky to understand (most people don't know how to draw them, as it
tends to be taught in engineering rather than comp sci or physics
anyway).  I suspect that Mr Quark would prefer that it appears complex
and difficult so that he can maintain a position that he's some kind of
high-priest.  It's not, of course, although misunderstandings of how
things work are rife.

The way to a man's heart is through the left ventricle.