Re: The Mindset of Transitioning to Linux

  • Subject: Re: The Mindset of Transitioning to Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 06:03:59 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ CoffeehouseSchmuck ] on Tuesday 15 August 2006 03:28 \__

> Penguiniator wrote:
>> What knowledge do you (Windows users) possess about Windows that
>> you feel you would have to abandon or re-learn if you used Linux
>> instead?
>>
>> How does contemplating learning/re-learning these skills put you
>> off?
>
> i am migrating from Windows to Linux NOW
> my ONLY problem so faar is Installing software
>
> after i made 2 computers Fedra Core 5 i realized my voice recorder is
> windows software
> so i had to dig out this old Windows 98 PC to run ONE PROGRAM
>
> i asked questions,put Wine,Ark,and Yum on my computer
> nothing will install this

Why WinE? (or whine?) When moving to Linux, it is better to use native
applications. Often enough, the Linux programs (e.g. Audacity) offer more
functionality, too. Better learn the equivalents and master the use of these
programs. As they are free (and Free, thus always extensible), the skills
stay with you for good, much like the program.

As a side note, Ubuntu simplifies installation tremendously. it also keeps an
well-organised tree of programs with descriptions and aptly-named
categories. A bloated (comprehensive) distribution like SuSE, on the other
hand, is likely to contain all the programs you will ever need.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Signature pending approval"
Tasks: 132 total,   1 running, 128 sleeping,   0 stopped,   3 zombie