Re: Looks like I'm moving on to KDE!

__/ [ casioculture@xxxxxxxxx ] on Monday 14 August 2006 21:20 \__

> Amazing! Considering my post bashing it with the strongest of
> sentiments within the past month. I just got charmed by the following;
> amarok, kile, kate, akregator, TaskJugglerUI, klipper, kompose,
> konqueror. I then had three programs that I liked the looks of but they
> didn't run well on my Gnome Ubuntu for some reason; kat, kopete, and...
> umm, I forgot, but there were a couple more. So I'm downloading
> kubuntu-desktop for a full KDE experience in case something needed was
> missing.
>
> I still think that the defult KDE art of cartoonish, glossy, blue icons
> and stuff to be garish. I particularly hate that CrystalSVG theme. It
> sure put me off. I read somewhere that KDE 4 will move away from that
> towards a more mature look. I think that will be a huge improvement. I
> was only able to stand KDE apps once I changed that to a minimalist,
> non-distracting theme (plastik, human, nuovext).
>
> And I still think that for newbies, Gnome is still the best. Had I not
> liked those KDE apps better I would've perhaps stayed with Gnome as a
> DE.

GNOME is probably more stable and consistent. It does not offer the same
level of functionality though. Most users will not yearn for that obscure
functionality anyway, which is why GNOME is great. Keeps clutter away... I
sometimes think that GNOME is not 'bold' enough to offer (or make prominent)
features that are not available in Windows (e.g. buttons on top of window
decorations). I don't think it's /necessarily/ a good thing.