Re: Another Reason Why Proprietary Software is a Bad Idea

Sandman wrote:

> In article <1236275.29DmEuhR1Z@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>  Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> > And all of this would have been different if the software were open
>> > source? Explain how.
>>
>> Open Source software has no notion of licences and datestamps (for
>> expiries and verifications). When it runs, it runs for good. No caveats.
>
> That's silly. open source software could make use of licensed data as
> well, such as SSL keys, or other expiring licenses.
>
> Using open source software doesn't mean you automatically get free
> access to things that people with closed software need to pay for.
>
> I'm sure you're trying to say that this license key issue here was
> with the license key for a proprietary software license, but it could
> just as well be a license key their host makes them pay for to give
> access to the database server, which could run MySQL for instance.
>
> And even if you're correct, my point remains - license key problem
> could just as easily arise regardless of whether you use open source
> software or not, because license keys are not only associated with
> closed source software.

like, for instance, subscription-based freeware (Shattered Galaxy springs
immediately to mind). This is where you get to download the software for
free, in some instances you also get the source code. Either way, the key
to the software resides on a central server (in the case of SG, it's the
game server - there's no standalone mode). To access basic features of the
software (for SG, you get to play a Basic hero for free), all you do is run
it and connect to the server. To access the advanced features (for SG these
are better, faster battle units and enhanced other features that Basics
don't get), you pay a monthly subscription.

I can see the carhole working along these lines; the software is available
for free or a small charge; Basic functionality would allow the operator to
extract vehicles. Advanced functionality in this case would be the ability
to place vehicles and collect parking tolls. Unfortunately, the software
described in the OP article didn't work like this; when the license
expired, it flat stopped working. No cars in or out.

Bummer.
--
When all else fails... use a hammer.

http://dotware.co.uk

Some people are like Slinkies; they serve no particular purpose,
But they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.