Re: Cutting edge Linux distro?

  • Subject: Re: Cutting edge Linux distro?
  • From: Hadron Quark <hadronquark@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 18:49:37 +0200
  • Cancel-lock: sha1:xAnCyf9+wUaFHLQ2zox4oeXMSLA=
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> __/ [ Hadron Quark ] on Sunday 13 August 2006 15:26 \__
>
>> Sandman <mr@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>
>>> So, I have this kickass Windows gaming machine (i.e. raptor disk, dual
>>> ATI X1900XTX, AMD X2 4800+) and I would really like a Linux distro
>>> that will impress me.
>>>
>>> I've seen the Xgl demos, so it has to have that of course.
>>
>> ATI card? Good luck with getting HW opengl working.
>

> Mine was working fine until I extended to dual-head. SUSE 8.1 had it working
> without any problems. In fact, I hear that SLED handles it gracefully as
> well. Thus, SUSE 10.2 should be no exception, so 10.1 might be a safe bet
> for an easy installation.
>

>>> I'm a OSX users, so there are some stuff I think it should have, just
>>> for comparison:
>>>
>>> Exposà like stuff - but that's XGL, right?
>>> Spotlight - Beagle, right?
>>> Frontrow - MythPC....?
>>
>> MythTV? Have fun installing that.
>

> http://g-ding.tv/
>
> ,----[ Overview ]
> | MythDora is a Fedora Core and MythTV "All-In-One" CD. The CD will load
> | a preconfigured Fedora Core 4 installation on your computer as well as
> | install and configure MythTV-0.19. There are extras included with
> | MythDora such as MythBurn, MediaMVP and MythStreamTV for some extra fun.
> `----
>
> Came across the following just days ago...
>
> http://parker1.co.uk/mythtv_ubuntu.php

Followed them all.

latest issues are:

@local:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start
Starting MythTV server: mythbackendSession management error: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed

I'll have another go later in the week.