Re: Free "Powered by Ubuntu Linux" Stickers

On 2006-08-13, Kier <vallon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> posted something concerning:
> On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 13:08:09 +0000, Sinister Midget wrote:
>
>> On 2006-08-13, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> posted something concerning:
>>> __/ [ George Ellison (undercover) ] on Sunday 13 August 2006 06:04 \__

>>> Good point. There was some friction between Canonical and Debian recently.
>>> And a couple of days ago I read the folloing popular page:
>>>
>>> http://techanchor.blogspot.com/2006/08/ubuntu-vs-debian-what-canonical-doesnt.html
>>>
>>>          Ubuntu vs. Debian: What Canonical Doesn't Want You To Know
>>>
>>> The previous post was this:
>>>
>>> STFU Ubuntu Users!!!
>>>
>>> ,----[ Snippet ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> Many can relate to these words.
>>
>> I use it in a persistent mode. I can carry it around and do what I need
>> to do. It's great for that, though others can do similar things. I'll
>> probably continue using it this way for a good while.
>
> I just got rid of it for an Elive install. Not because it was crap in any
> way, though, 'cause I found it to be very good. Even got wifi going, if
> not at 100% efficiency

I did run it up once on this machine. It's wired.

I haven't tried it with my wireless card. I only use that on the laptop
anyway. I have CentOS installed on there for another 2-3 weeks at
least. Prior to that I had openSuse 10.0 on it because Jr was running
games from it via a KVM. Wireless worked well enough on that install.

I might try it on the laptop once I'm through with the current install.

>> I tried it as a fulltime desktop. It worked just fine. I got bored with
>> it, though.
>>
>> I never had a successful Kubuntu install, so I can't comment on that.
>> until recently I never had a successful Xubuntu boot (with something
>> already installed that wasn't moving soon), so no comment there either.
>
> I was going to put it on my old Advent laptop, but it had a problem with
> the screen, which is most likely fixable, but I couldn't be bothered to do
> it just then). So I installed Gnome to my existing Zenwalk setup, which
> worked very well. Actually seems *faster* than xfce, thoug slower than
> fluxbox, obviously.
>

>> Either Mepis (last I tried was pre-Ubuntu tie-in, so this may change),
>
> Got Mepis on my newest PC. It's really nice. I don't know whether to
> switch to the latest Ubuntu based version or not.
>
>> SuSE, CentOS*, Kanotix or possibly PCLinuxOS for me at this stage.
>
> Ahhh, I do like Kanotix.... It was one of the first distros that went on
> my old Compaq slap once I got rid of Windows, and the first one I'd
> installed from a Live CD.
>
>> Maybe one of the heftier live CDs, or possibly something like RR4, when
>> I have more power and space to deal with one of them. Or I might start
>> playing with some of the Slackware live discs/installs.
>
> Are there any pure Slackware Live CDs? I know there is Vector and Zenwalk,
> and SLAX, but is there one that's just standard Slackware?

Not that I've seen. I might even just go straight Slack. Maybe. Maybe
I'll go for Gentoo finally.

>> * This isn't etched in stone. I haven't had it installed long, less
>> than a month. I still may find enough I don't like about it to drop it.
>> But it's pretty good so far.
>
> I sometimes think there are two types of Linux user: one type finds a
> distro and just sticks to it (like my brother, who was a Red Hat man, and
> now stays with Fedora, and has never really shown any interest in trying
> anything else, despite my efforts). The other types loves to install
> different distros, for whatever reason - fun, or curiosity, or searching
> for the 'ideal' one, or whatever.
>
> I'm the latter. I like trying different distros. There's a surprising
> degree of difference between some distros, in approach, software choice,
> community, etc. I like that a lot.

I rarely find one I like to and can stay with for a long time. I
usually either want to try something else (mostly this way lately), or
I screw it up by choosing to install too much from the wrong
repositories (almost every Knoppix install, a couple of Kanotix
installs, several early Mepis installs, 2 PCLinuxOS installs I did a
couple of years ago, etc).

I sometimes settle on a particular one for a particular purpose. The
machine in the basement has had ClarkConnect on it since I put it there
about a year ago. The laptop had Suse 10.0 on it for the longest time.
It only changed because I needed CentOS for a few weeks. That might
stay on there for a long time, or I might put Elive on it. Who knows.

But this machine hasn't lasted more than about 4 months with any
install. The previous one sitting in the same spot almost never had
anything on it longer than about 7 months. I think I had one that was
almost a year, but the rest changed out pretty quickly.

I like to change around with the machines I use every day. No doubt
about it.

--
Windows: Microsoft's tax on computer illiterates.