Re: [News] Dell Ceases to Develop Windows Mobile PDA's

  • Subject: Re: [News] Dell Ceases to Develop Windows Mobile PDA's
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 08:16:41 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
begin  oe_protect.scr
> Dell stops PDA development?
>
> ,----[  ]
>| Dell halted R&D development of PDA products since the middle of 2005,
>| when Dell's Taiwan Design Center (TDC) completed development of the
>| PC vendor's last Axim-series device, which was manufactured by High
>| Tech Computer (HTC), according to market sources.
>|
>| ...Dell has not announced new PDAs for almost a year and PDA products
>| that it currently offers are old models that were introduced in 2004,
>| indicated the sources. In addition, the PC vendor has not shown any moves
>| in the PDA phone and GPS-enable PDA segments, the sources noted.
>|
>| [...]
>|
>| According to International Data Corporation (IDC), the worldwide
>| handheld device market continued to slide in shipments on a yearly
>| basis in the first quarter of 2006, with a 19.4% decrease.
> `----
>
> http://www.digitimes.com/systems/a20060801PR209.html
>
> This could open the door to competition, such as the (Linux-based) Nokia
> tablet, (Linux-based) mobile phones (recall the alliance that revolves
> around mobile Linux) and even Palm (despite recent delays and woe over the
> new Linux-based O/S).
>
> To be fair...
>
> PDA sales in freefall
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Shipments of handheld mobile devices in Western Europe have taken a
>| record tumble this quarter. Manufacturers who were hoping sales of
>| converged devices (i.e. smartphones) would help offset the decline,
>| are also in for a disappointing time, according to analyst house IDC.
> `----
>
>                 http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/08/03/pda_sluggish/
>
> Maybe 3G phones are the way to go..

I don't think so, as the 3G network rollout is being halted, due to a
total lack of customer interest.

I think that devices will pick up in numbers, but it's a question of
people working out how to run their lives and businesses in a
post-desktop-PC world, which is where we're heading very quickly at the
moment.

For example, I have google maps running on my Nokia 6630 phone (which is
a 3G one, of course, albeit a Symbian one).

Ernest asks Frank how long he has been working for the company.
	"Ever since they threatened to fire me."