Re: KMail and prompts for destination email addresses

  • Subject: Re: KMail and prompts for destination email addresses
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 05:49:18 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.windows.x.kde
__/ [ Rob ] on Saturday 12 August 2006 08:37 \__

> Big Yellow Hats wrote:
>
>> Quoth Rob :
>>
>>> When I start up a new KMail message I start typing in an email address
>>> and am then prompted with various possibilities.
>>>
>>> Where are these entries stored?  I'd like to know because some of them
>>> are incorrectly formatted as email addresses ND I'd like to delete
>>> those and only have valid addresses displayed in the prompt.
>>
>> In the new kmail message window right-click on the "To:" field -- select
>> "Edit Recent Addresses..." -- remove the mistyped/unwanted addresses --
>> click "OK".
>>
>> (Oddly, this can also be reached via the "Subject:" field of a knode
>> message.)
>>
>> It's all stored in kmailrc and can be edited directly as well.
>

> I looked at these places and got rid of all addresses, just to do a
> complete
> job.  These were all addresses that would have been passed as valid.  The
> invalid ones are still suggested when I try to enter certain names/address
> combinations.  Also visible are addresses from my address book!
>
> I'm getting to the point where I will switch off text completion facilty
> until I find out what is going on...
>
> Any further thoughts?  BTW I looked through the address book data as well
> and found no evidence of the invalid type addresses :(

Hi Rob,

I know it doesn't help much, but problems with autocomplete in KMail were
described several times in the past, in this newsgroup. If I were you, I
would try a quick intra-group search.

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.windows.x.kde

There are ways of flushing all these addresses (by editing files or using the
front-ends), as well of ways of customising/disabling the feature. If it
makes you feel any better, Thunderbird presents some of the same problems. I
wish I had good/better integration between a PDA and the mail client
personally, which is why Web-based with conduits seems like a tempting
option. I am filled with worried as a lot of stuff seems to be heading that
way (responsive Web-based UI's).

Best wishes,