Re: Fedora Core 5 File Encryption Answer to Vista

  • Subject: Re: Fedora Core 5 File Encryption Answer to Vista
  • From: "Oliver Wong" <owong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 22:09:52 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

<Jimserac@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:1155303607.086729.293180@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

Ask your friends if Vista can do this...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lawkc3jH3ws

Or this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUSn-jBA3CE

Best wishes,

Roy

XGL for Linux Desktop

WOW!!!!!!!!!!1   Is this available for Fedora?  I will search on web

That oughta shut up my Vista tormentors.

I'm not so sure about that, since:

(1) Trolls will troll even when there's nothing left to argue about.
(2) A lot of what was done in the second video is already availabe in Windows XP, except for:
(a) Wobbly windows.
(b) Multiple desktops arranged as a cube.
(c) Nice arranging of the windows.
in particular XP already has (some of these require a 3rd party plugin):
(d) Multi head display.
(e) Desktop widgets.
(f) Water droplet effects.
(g) Magnification for the visually impaired.
(h) Alpha transparency.

(a) doesn't appeal to me, though I see how it demonstrates that every window is a 3D object. It's more for show than utility, I think.
(b) doesn't appeal to me personally either, as whenever I use Linux, I always set myself to 1 desktop. I know some other people swear by multiple desktops though, and it'd be nice to have the option there for those who want it.
(c) I wish XP had this. OSX also has this, and it's one of the features I'm envious about.

So if your friends are anything like me, I'd recommend you focus on (c) to shut them up.

- Oliver