Re: [News] 'Cash Cow' Gets 17 Competitors

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
17 MS Office Killers

,----[ Quote ]
| 'Complete Overkill'
|
| "Microsoft Word seems like complete overkill for sharing text here
| and there," he said. "You don't need tables or formatting all the time.
| You need a place to write text, make changes, and pass around." So far,
| 350,000 WriteBoards or web-based documents have been created.
`----

http://www.redherring.com/Article.aspx?a=18053&hed=17+MS+Office+Killers

Exactly.

This is why the whole ODF and OO vs. Word thing is boring.

The answer is "none of the above".

We've been breaking text into smaller chunks ever since Yahoo Chat. Now there's SMS (text messaging), blogs, RSS.

The sound bite is now the text byte[100].

Linux or Windows can do some of it -- the question is who can do more, better and cheaper and this is the key: without interference!

Yes, the whole /intrusive/ style of the uber-OS that Microsoft set itself out to develop with Wronghorne, has been smashed into an SOA.

Intertwined layers give way to discrete frag-apps.

7 levels of OSI become an amorphous membrane -- might as well be 7000000 layers.