Re: [News] Get Ogg - Site Launched

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Get Ogg/Vorbis/Theora
>
> ,----[ Snippet ]
> | Why are patents on other file formats allowed? Isn't that
> | anti-competitive?
> |
> | It is anti-competitive, and it shouldn't be allowed. Unfortunately, it
> | is allowed in most places except the EU.
> |
> | Why are government-funded broadcasting corporations allowed to exclude
> | Free Software users?
> |
> | No one knows. They shouldn't be allowed to...
> `----
>
> http://www.getogg.org/aboutogg.shtml

By coincidence I was reading up on ogg last night; looking into the
aoTuV optimisations, while I braced myself to convert my vast WMA, M4A
and MP3 collection to a uniform standard.

Lets see:

 . MP3 quality is not that great
 . The iPod is practically the only DAP that does AAC
 . Lossless files are still too big
 . WMA files don't work on an iPod
 . Then again, neither does Ogg
 . But then it's much easier working with Ogg under Linux
 . And Ogg is not patent encumbered

Solution:

 . Buy a DAP (or PMP) that supports Ogg, like the Cowon A2

There, that was easy, wasn't it?

Anyone want to buy an iPod shuffle off me?

--
K.
http://slated.org - Slated, Rated & Blogged

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.16-1.2133_FC5
 08:00:50 up 72 days,  8:17,  2 users,  load average: 0.08, 0.04, 0.01