Re: Linux with 16% - Re: Sunday Linux Advocacy... from Jessica Willis

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> __/ [ Rex Ballard ] on Monday 28 August 2006 20:41 \__
> Here are the browser stats from schestowitz.com so far this month (about a
> million hits, excluding bots, SE's ans spiders).
>
>         Windows 601817  72.9 %
>         Linux   88846   10.7 %
>         Unknown 85451   10.3 %

Were you able to identify "squid" records.  Remember, Squid is a
caching tool used by Linux to improve web performance by caching common
graphics, logos, and other "static" information.  Squid often appears
as "unknown".

Historically, about half the addresses will be squid, half will be bots
and crawlers..

>         Macintosh       46841   5.6 %
>         Unknown Unix system     783     0 %
>         FreeBSD 779     0 %
>         Sun Solaris     164     0 %
>         WebTV   56      0 %
>         Symbian OS      44      0 %
>         OpenBSD 40      0 %
>         Others  10      0 %
>

>         MS Internet Explorer    No      401207  48.6 %
>         Firefox No      272754  33 %
>         Unknown ?       69659   8.4 %
>         Safari  No      28829   3.4 %
>         Mozilla No      17271   2 %
>         Opera   No      17114   2 %
>         Konqueror       No      7798    0.9 %
>         Netscape        No      5291    0.6 %
>         Camino  No      1729    0.2 %
>         Wget    Yes     1119    0.1 %
>
> And don't just believe all stats that you see. Microsoft controls many
> publications and if you drop "Other" altogether, then you get lies, not
> statistics. Microsoft has already tweaked Netscraf figures by bribing
> GoDaddy to change the machine(s) which drives its parked domains. It's all
> just an illusion brought to you by Microsoft's brainwash (marketing)
> department.... that's the same department that phones Lenovo after it had
> offered preinstalled SUSE Linux. And then, quite suddenly, Lenovo, said it
> would support but not install Linux...
>
> Be careful. Microsoft got you all confused. But the facts are on the ground.
> Money changes perception.

I can't help but think of how the Railroad maintained such total
control over the central and southwest parts of the United States, for
almost 50 years.  But then the automobile, the truck, and the airplane
drove the railroad to the brink of bankruptcy.  Eventually, the
railroads focused on effeciently moving large amounts of bulk cargo,
and cross-country trains became a much less common form of
transportation of people and personal affects.

When Henry Ford created that first mass-produced car, I can't help but
wonder if he ever envisioned a country, and even a world, where nearly
1 billion people traveled by cars, and only a small percentage of them
would be made by Ford.