Re: Linux with 16% - Re: Sunday Linux Advocacy... from Jessica Willis

"Rex Ballard" <rex.ballard@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I just noted this interesting Factoid
>
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Grassroots computing
>> Linux Expo highlights open-source system
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Currently, only 16 percent of PC users in the United States have Linux,a
>> | and although that percentage pleases Szmajda and Joe Monti, the club's
>> | other co-president, those numbers seem woefully small for an operating
>> | system that is virtually hassle-proof.
>
> Let's see.  16 percent of the PC users have Linux.

No they dont. Sorry. Impossible : a casual "real world" poll would put
paid to that idea. I'd be very suprised if it was anymore than 2-5%.

> That's about 34 million, just in the united states.

Not a chance.

> Another 12% are Macs.  That puts the total at 28%.  Which means that
> only 72% of the PCs are running Linux exclusively, even though 99% of
> the PCs were sold with Windows.

A typo there I think.

> The good news is that if Linux is growing at 40%/year, and Mac is

It's not.

> getting similar growth, this means that about 13 million new users will
> be adopting Linux, and about as many will be adopting Macs, putting
> "enhanced" systems at about 30 million or about 40% of annual U.S.
> sales.  That's a huge shift for an aftermarket shift.  Keep in mind

If it were true.

> that other countries with larger populations and more new users, Linux
> has market shares as high as 40%.  The US has the lowest Linux adoption
> rate as a percentage of the PC user base.

One would not be too surprised there : the US is alwys a bit behind the
curve compared to, say, Germany where Linux is more popular than it is
in, say, England.