Re: [News] GNUgle Invades Microsoft's Turf - Goes Beyond Own Domain

__/ [ John A. Bailo ] on Monday 28 August 2006 07:50 \__

> John A. Bailo wrote:
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Google offers hosted communications applications
>>
> http://news.com.com/2100-1032_3-6109823.html?part=rss&tag=6109823&subj=news
>>>
>>> This will probably have Spreadsheets and Writely when they exit testing.
>>
>> When I went on vacation to NYC, I used a  Google Spreadsheet to plan the
>> things I needed to bring, buy, pack.
>>
>> Yes, compared to OO Calc it was infinitely more cumbersome.
>>
>> But -- the ability to run it from work or home (and from either Suse or XP
>> on my dual boot machine) made it useful.
>>
>> I haven't tried Writely yet.
>>

> Oh, BTW -- I guess what I'm saying that that ideally -- such a system
> wouldn't be a "browser based" spreadsheet client, but a web service that
> could interface with OOCalc and deliver "the data" to the client running on
> any desktop.
>
> That's what I really want.

That would GDrive, I think. You could have Google Spreadsheet use the files
from your Google Drive and get OO Calc to read to and write from the drive
(Web repository). That's the way I work on many documents, over FTP in
Konqueror (which makes /everything/ transparent). Windows/Office Live is
already behind in that respect.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz  | Windows is 'intuitive': go to 'Start' to finish session
Cpu(s):  18.8% user,   2.7% system,   0.9% nice,  77.6% idle