Re: [News] Gartner: Vista Last of its Kind, "Unsustainable" Monolithic Windows Forced to Change

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Saturday 26 August 2006 08:32 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> Windows Vista the last of its kind
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Vista will be the last version of Windows that exists in its current,
>>| monolithic form, according to Gartner.
>>|
>>| Instead, the research firm predicts, Microsoft will be forced to
>>| migrate Windows to a modular architecture tied together through
>>| hardware-supported virtualisation. "The current, integrated architecture
>>| of Microsoft Windows is unsustainable - for enterprises and for
>>| Microsoft," wrote Gartner analysts Brian Gammage, Michael Silver and
>>| David Mitchell Smith.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.techworld.com/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=6718
>>
>> It'll take them a decade to build Singularity (a UNIX/Linux clone/ripoff).
>> That's excellent news to Apple and Linux enthusiasts.

*LOL* I've just shoved this article in Bill Hilf's face.

Microsoft is very critical of this analysis. No doubt, it does it a lot of
much-justified damage.

> Even the name, singularity, shows some tight linkage to unix.
> Multics->unics->single->singularity, in case anyone has missed it.

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/browse_frm/thread/a0d8684d38d5932d/f72cd9c12c2c9cf2?lnk=st&q=ballard+singularity+unix+linux&rnum=1#f72cd9c12c2c9cf2

         ( SINGULARITY == LINUX!!! )

> Personally, I think that both apple and microsoft are making a grave
> error if they believe that they can maintain kernels on their own;  I do
> not believe that they can afford it.

In the mean time, they run out of talent (good programmers willing to stay on
board). That's why Gates whines about American CS educatiom and offshores
all business. His retirement from the board is no surprise. The US is yet to
criticise him as harshly as the EU.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "All your archives are (sic) belong to Google"
Swap:  1036184k total,   433440k used,   602744k free,    83836k cached