Re: [News] GIMP Launches Paid Usability Project

Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> __/ [ Kelsey Bjarnason ] on Friday 25 August 2006 20:45 \__
>
>> [snips]
>>
>> On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 14:59:00 +0100, Jamie Hart wrote:
>>
>>> Then don't use ALT-TAB.  Learn to use multiple desktops,
>>
>> Are you freakin' kidding?  I not only have multiple desktops, I have dual
>> monitors, effectively doubling the desktop count - and I use 'em.
>> Constantly.  That doesn't excuse a brain-dead UI.
>>
>>> Alt-tab was developed to get around the problem of only having a single
>>> desktop, why carry it over to an OS that supports multiple ones?
>>
>> Alt-tab was developed as a quick, easy efficient way to cycle through
>> running apps.  Works just fine, thanks, until some goober decides his way
>> is better and thus breaks a convention that's been in place for a hell of
>> a long time, known by tens, if not hundreds, of millions of people.

>>> Did you know that Microsoft Access does the same thing in Alt-tab?
>>
>> And?  You see me running Access?  No.  Not even when I run Windows.
>>
>> Okay, so there's *two* brain-dead apps out there.  Let's see if we can get
>> it up to a tenth of a percent.
>
> I agree with Jamie. Try Alt+(Shift)+Tabbing or Ctrl+(Shift)+Tabbing when you
> have 16 workspaces and 30 applications. The scale/granularity makes it slow.
> There are some sophisticated taskbars, even with groupings and previews.
> There are also keyboard accelerators. The point here being: many people
> still do things in inefficeint ways. I blame the Windows' dumbing-down of
> the PC user.

I thought you might.

But tell me, is it users being dumbed down or merely MS making computers
available for the average Joe? lets see their market share : oh yes,
thats rights - for some reason unbeknown to all the kooks here they have
99.8% of the desktop market. Hmmm....