Re: Update: Microsoft Intentionally Cripples HD DVD, Blu-ray Support in Vista 32-bit

nessuno wrote:
[...]

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/s2a8r (MSWatch, no PR)
[...]

"High Plains Thumper" <hpt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:1156528500.177108@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Those are contradictory announcements, but not beyond my expectations.

I find it hard to believe that with video accelerated cards, a 32-bit OS
with higher end processor cannot handle high definition content.

I don't think anything claimed that a 32-bit OS could not handle HD content. Rather, the issue was that Microsoft had made it a policy that 32-bit Vista would allow the running of unsigned drivers, while 64-bit Vista would not allow the running of unsigned drivers.

And so the first article says that "Big Media Companies" want movies to ONLY be playable on 64-bit Vista, so that they could verify that the drivers were signed. In other words, they didn't want 3rd party drivers which bypass DRM to be in use. That article also implied that Microsoft complied with this request, whereas the second article says Microsoft is basically ignoring the request, and software vendors are free to write whatever restriction they want (which might be ZERO restrictions) in their media playing programs. It's not Microsoft's problem.

- Oliver