Re: Update: Microsoft Intentionally Cripples HD DVD, Blu-ray Support in Vista 32-bit

  • Subject: Re: Update: Microsoft Intentionally Cripples HD DVD, Blu-ray Support in Vista 32-bit
  • From: High Plains Thumper <hpt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 03:42:13 +0900
  • Cache-post-path: ella.cg.yu!unknown@221m35.oasis.mediatti.net
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> High Plains Thumper on Friday
>> nessuno wrote:
>>
>>> Quote:
>>> --------------
>>> "Any next-generation high definition content will not play
>>> in x32 at all. This is a decision that the Media Player
>>> folks made because there are just too many ways right now
>>> for unsigned kernel mode code [to compromise content
>>> protection]. The media companies asked us to do this and
>>> said they don't want any of their high definition content
>>> to play in x32 at all, because of all of the unsigned
>>> malware that runs in kernel mode can get around content
>>> protection, so we had to do this," said Riley.
>>>
>>> In order to playback high definition Blu-ray or HD DVD
>>> content, your PC must have a 64-bit processor and a 64-bit
>>> version of Windows Vista. Running a 64-bit version of Vista
>>> means that all drivers have to be signed. This ensures that
>>> content protection is kept in place and is something that
>>> the movie studios have been pushing for to get help stomp
>>> out piracy. ---------------
>>> End quote
>>>
>>> http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3922
>>
>> It sounds like CPU and motherboard hardware manufacturers
>> should be happy.  The hardware inflationary cycle continues.
>
> Microsoft's mouthpiece begs to differ.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/s2a8r (MSWatch, no PR)
>
> Just a rumour perhaps? Or are true facts being hidden from the public?

Those are contradictory announcements, but not beyond my expectations.

I find it hard to believe that with video accelerated cards, a 32-bit OS
with higher end processor cannot handle high definition content.  Now one
is required to upgrade software and possibly hardware to run it.  It also
tells me that Vista has not fully resolved security issues with a full
rewrite.  Somehow my expectations are an upgraded XP version.

--
HPT