Re: Professional Books Composed with Linux (or Mac, Windows) and Open Source

__/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Friday 25 August 2006 07:41 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Designing a book with LyX
>
> I'm slowly writing a book.  It has 500 pages so far, all in plain TeX.
> I wrote all the macros myself.  Obviously there's a better way, but I
> got used to what I was doing.  I figure some day I'll have to convert
> to LaTeX with some nice book format, but maybe LyX is the way to go.  I
> know you've praised it before.  I'm bookmarking this referece, and will
> come back to it (some day, I say).

Some of the folks in our Division are aware of LyX from afar, but they 'grew
up' composing in raw LaTeX. Justifiably, they are reluctant to embrace /any/
front-end. It's the same scenario when it comes to HTML and CSS. I began
with Web pages using WYSIWYG when I was 15... so the transition to raw code
composition was driven by choice, with awareness. That said, there are tools
to assist all of this (e.g. have a browser on one screen, editor on another,
much like macro-based editor for TeX and DVI's on another). But I still find
that LyX offers quicker preview of figures, the ability to jump between
sections (hierarchical indexed menu) and drop-downs for labels and
cross/reference citations. Without these features, composition is slower (I
write in raw LaTeX when I must... due to prescribed templates... but I can
still work in LyX and export the product to TeX and take it from there).

I have been using LyX for a long time and I find it very pleasant to write a
thesis with. In fact, my thesis LyX file (used as a template/placeholder) is
downloaded about 3 times a day.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
Mem:    514480k total,   484496k used,    29984k free,    24060k buffers