Re: Microsoft Cannot Protect Windows, So It 'Educates' People

begin  oe_protect.scr
nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>     I haven't read the article yet, but from the summary I'd assume that (at
>> least part of) the education would involve preventing social engineering
>> attacks, which are platform independent. "Don't click on the links within
>> SPAM e-mail", for example.
>
> I learned today in another post that when you (or automatically your
> software) downloads an attachment to an email, it has the effect of
> telling the spammers that your email address is valid, regardless of
> what you do with that attachment.  So that's definitely a reason not to
> look at attachments on any OS.  I've always assumed that on my Linux
> system it wouldn't matter if I did click on attachments (or links), not
> that I'm in the habit of doing it.

What they're doing is putting a marker into the url sent to you which
matches the email address in their own database.

If you /really/ want to look at a site, then remove any extraneous bits
first, but even then, if you have a fixed IP address and an MX record,
you could still be found, at least to your MX machine, anyway.

Your reasoning powers are good, and you are a fairly good planner.