Re: [News] ODF Accessibility FUD in Massachusetts - Progress is Being Made

__/ [ Peter Köhlmann ] on Thursday 24 August 2006 23:07 \__

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20060823131715736

>>>     Yes, but presumably when you're "reading" an ODF document, you're not
>>> looking at the raw XML via your webbrowser, but rather you're using
>>> software like Open Office to display it. I guess what they're complaining
>>> about is a lack of a screen magnifier built into Open Office.
>>>
>>>     In Windows XP, there's an OS level utility called "Magnifier" which
>>>     will
>>> magnifiy any portion of the screen, and so individual programs don't need
>>> to implement magnifiers themselves. I'd be extremely surprised if Linux
>>> doesn't offer a similar utility, especially since XGL would make this
>>> trivially easy to implement. In fact, I'm pretty sure I saw screen
>>> magnification occur in one of the XGL videos Roy posted.
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUSn-jBA3CE
>>
>> It comes towards the end, IIRC. Not one of the most exciting features,
>> unless you are near-sighted.
>>

> It is one of those features I never use. In KDE, it is KMag

That's just what I thought.I know about KMagnifier and used it before. I
wonder if Microsoft's software does some rerendering of the fonts so that
pixel magnification does not result in coarse text. If not, then it all just
pure FUD. Either way, it's definitely FUD. Fortunately, the significant of
this Mass. 'affair' is the influence it had on the rest of the world,
notably west Europe and India.

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    YaSTall SuSE to figure out the magic
Cpu(s):  19.1% user,   2.7% system,   1.0% nice,  77.3% idle