Re: [News] ODF Accessibility FUD in Massachusetts - Progress is Being Made

__/ [ Oliver Wong ] on Thursday 24 August 2006 20:00 \__

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20060823131715736

>> ODF is just xml based, those magnifyers must be able to work with normal
>> web
>> browser displays, so I can't see this as a serious problem. Not something
>> that should be used to delay Massachusetts take up of it anyway.
>
>     Yes, but presumably when you're "reading" an ODF document, you're not
> looking at the raw XML via your webbrowser, but rather you're using
> software like Open Office to display it. I guess what they're complaining
> about is a lack of a screen magnifier built into Open Office.
>
>     In Windows XP, there's an OS level utility called "Magnifier" which
>     will
> magnifiy any portion of the screen, and so individual programs don't need
> to implement magnifiers themselves. I'd be extremely surprised if Linux
> doesn't offer a similar utility, especially since XGL would make this
> trivially easy to implement. In fact, I'm pretty sure I saw screen
> magnification occur in one of the XGL videos Roy posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUSn-jBA3CE

It comes towards the end, IIRC. Not one of the most exciting features, unless
you are near-sighted.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Florida is bigger than England
  8:05pm  up 35 days  8:20,  8 users,  load average: 0.22, 0.75, 0.96