Re: [News] Mandriva 2007 Adopts XGL/AIGLX

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Wednesday 23 August 2006 22:15 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> ,----[ Snippet ]
>> | Mandriva 2007 will have support for 3D desktops effects through
>> | XGL/AIGLX. The choice will be made automatically according to your
>> | graphical card driver possibilities.
>> `----
>
> Now *that's* a smart way of doing it!
>
> This whole deal with XGL Vs aiglx reminds me of the DVD format
> wars. Initially it was a case of either DVD-Minus or DVD-Plus was
> going to dominate, and the other would fall by the wayside. Ultimately
> the industry decided to hedge their bets and seamlessly integrate
> support for all formats into single hardware units.

It's even easier to integrate, merge, fork, overlay, harmonise or entwine
when you deal with Open Source. It's liquid.

> So next-gen Linux desktops are going to be powered by Compiz running
> either XGL or aiglx, but either way the technology is coming, and
> maybe the whole thing will just merge into one single technology
> ... since after all, as open source projects, it's not like there's
> any commercial rivalry involved.

It reminds me of KDE and GNOME. Both inspire one another (e.g. wishlist items
from DE migrants) and there is plenty of room for re-use, merging (e.g. run
KDE applications in GNOME and vice versa), and adaptation to hardware (e.g.
Puppy Linux versus SUSE). You can't get that with OS X or editions of
Windows (and that 'thin-client' XP junk does not count as a computer).

> Hmmm, I wonder what the "Desktop evolution" equivalent of Blueray
> would be?

HD-DVD. Your Hard-Drive (HD) turns into a digital versatile filesystem. Maybe
something like this research piece where the desktop is a 3-D environment
with objects (files) that can be bounced and thrown around. I failed to find
the popular video which illustrates this.

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: A dragonfly only lives for one day
Tasks: 143 total,   1 running, 140 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie