Re: Try doing this with Linux...

yttrx@xxxxxxxxx (yttrx) wrote:

> > Yes, I agree. They have some good designers (visual). But Apple's homebrew
> > code is a total disaster and akin to Microsoft's. I will never forget all
> > these times that OS 9 froze on me completely... or the dependence on OE/IE,
> > which are rubbish. Rightfully, you could argue it has evolved since, but it
> > hasn't quite...
>
> Don't forget that the majority of Apple's very unstable operating system
> code (and yup, I remember it, I used 7.5 through 9 myself) was written under
> Gasse, not under Jobs.

yes, correct. OS9 and before was written by people that have long left
Apple. That era that died 6 years ago, when Apple bought NeXT it really
became NeXT, all of the old Apple is long gone.

> Jobs at the time was over at NeXT systems, pulling brilliant code out of
> brilliant programmers and designers.
>
> I think the direction Apple has taken since they gave him his job back
> has been a very good one, and quite honestly, don't you think it was a hell
> of an enormous beached whale to deal with once Jobs was back in control?
>
> Personally, I think he's done an exemplary job as a CEO for Apple, and
> that his methods should be taught at business schools all over the world.

Yes, while steve had much growing up to do from when he was in his 20's
and helping run Apple, today, some 20 years later he's one of the
world's top CEO's running one of the top companies the world has ever
known.

> And they are.  :)
>
> Now, that said, I'm not planning on buying an Apple machine for a while
> yet, and when I do it's going to be a laptop.  I figure two to three years
> from now is good enough for them to get the majority of the annoying bugs
> worked out of their hardware/software combinations.  By the time I buy
> one, I'd like exploding batteries and glopped-on thermal paste to be a
> thing of the past.

those are simple manufacturing issues of early production runs, they
really aren't any "annoying bugs" in the current hardware. apple played
it safe and didn't redesign the hardware when they switch over to intel,
sure the logicboard and some components changed, but the overall
structure of the powerbook/macbook pro (imac/powermac/macpro/macmini)
has remained the same. if you are considering the new macbook that's a
bit of a different story, but that's the only machine that is new to the
product line for several years.