Re: PCLinuxOS .93 Big Daddy? "The Full Monty", Says TuxMachines.org

__/ [ B Gruff ] on Wednesday 23 August 2006 11:35 \__

> On Wednesday 23 August 2006 12:02 Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> [Many apologies for crossposting]
>>
>> PCLinuxOS 0.93a - The Full Monty
>
> Ah - thanks for that (the link, not the x-posting!)

It'll probably be obvious to most (at least those without sophisticated
killfiles), but this item was a comeback to a crossposted double-rant from
flatfish. That guy is very unstable. Only months ago he was raving about how
great PCLinuxOS is. He just needed some more attention, so he
trolled/flamed.

> The guy does say:-
>
> "Back by popular demand is the full suite of OpenOffice.org. PCLOS Big
> Daddy ships with the complete version 2.0.3. Is it just me, or does this
> thing seem to open faster than ever? My first OpenOffice.org app of
> oowriter opened in 2 or 3 seconds here and then the others opened almost
> instantaneously. ...And gorgeous gorgeous fonts!"
>
> DFS please note - we had this discussion many weeks ago:-)

Speed issues in OpenOffice have become a myth. People run OpenOffice on
Windows and compare that against Microsoft Office, which preloads libraries.

About fonts, Linux fonts are prettier than Windows fonts and are on par with
Mac OS X fonts. Those who complain about Linux fonts just pick the wrong
distribution or do not enable sub-pixel hinting or install some TrueType
fonts, which are prescribed by sites that follow/comply with Microsoft's
font monopoly.

http://news.com.com/Microsofts+forgotten+monopoly/2010-1032_3-6085417.html