Re: [News] Another Milestone for the $100 Linux Laptop

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> __/ [ Oliver Wong ] on Tuesday 22 August 2006 16:49 \__
>
>> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>> Knocking Down the Barriers to the $100 Laptop
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]

>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2006350,00.asp
>>
>> <quote>
>> Now, the chief technology officer of the One Laptop Per Child program
>> claims to have come up with a display that can be readily mass-produced
>> in standard LCD factories, has a higher resolution than 95 percent of the
>> laptop displays on the market today, runs with about one-seventh of
>> traditional power consumption, costs one-third of the price and can be
>> read in sunlight or room light without backlighting.
>> </quote>
>>
>>     It had not occured to me that in the process of developing the OLPC
>> project, we'd end up with new technology that may eventually find its way
>> into the computers of "first-world countries". It's like a nice karmic
>> bonus.
>
> There has been a lot of this in NASA. Things like Teflon, to name just one
> example.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Roy

Roy,

Teflon was a by product of the American nuclear industry for the military.

But the point is just as sharp. The days of mecury, gemini and apollo did
more for consumer electronics that any other American project, research or
otherwise.

--

Jerry McBride