Re: [News] Proprietary Software: "Own the Standard, Own the Customer"

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 08:24:36 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> The Importance of Having Standards
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| The industry in which I work is not the most technically minded. In
>| fact, many people in my business regard the internet as strange and
>| frightening. For the worst cases, finding the "On" button on the PC is
>| a real achievement. This relative lack of computer savvy has led to some
>| acute symptoms of technical backwardness; a leading example has to do
>| with open standards for information transfers. In short, there are none.
>| It's not for lack of trying, my firm attempted to lead the way, however
>| the initiative was de-railed by one company who held fast to the belief
>| that if they control a proprietary standard, that they would make it
>| easier to lock in clients. They think by owning the standard, they own
>| the customer.
> `----
>
> http://www.linuxextremist.com/?p=91

What a poser.

Apart fromt he fact that he's so melodramatic as to give shatner a run for
his money (I mean come on "No one has yet been brave enough to tell me if I
actually had steam coming out of my ears; apparently I did turn bright red,
however."???) he apparently doesn't understand simple web concepts, despite
apparently being involved in web development.

First, PHP, Perl and lots of other languages have *ZERO* problem connecting
to SQL Server on Windows.  None whatsoever.

Second, ASP and PHP communicate in precisely the same way that ASP and ASP
communicate, through standard web requests.  Ie, you postback data to the
page you are trying to communicate with.  This technique works for anything
web related, since HTTP requests are stateless and depend on the content of
the web request to provide state.

Third, he's simply a freaking moron if he can't use the exact same
techniques he uses in PHP to work with ASP->PHP.