Re: Why Linux and Not Windows?

"billwg" <bill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
news:1156184147.480737.295720@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>> I only listed first-level bulletpoints. The list is very
>> detailed, which makes a compelling case
>
> Yet another twang of the same old linux mantra.
> Conveniently glossing over the cold, hard fact that linux
> doesn't have the application support that professionals
> need on the desktop.  Go tell it on the mountain!

Like, for example:

ADINA http://www.adina.com/ is a program for FEA (Finite Element
Analyses) including an object modeler.
Commercial

Alliance http://www-asim.lip6.fr/alliance/ is a complete set of
free CAD tools and portable libraries for VLSI design. It
includes a VHDL compiler and simulator, logic synthesis tools,
and automatic place and route tools. A complete set of portable
CMOS libraries is provided.
GPL

ARCAD 3D http://www.arcad.de/ ARCAD 3D is a powerful CAAD
program focused on 3D. It has photo-realistic rendering, support
for VRML. There are german and english versions. Currently
polish, french and spanish versions are in stage of development.
Modifications for adapting to any other language can be easily
accomplished by anyone.
Commercial and Educational

BetterCAD http://www.bettercad.de/ announced a Linux version for
release 3.01. BetterCAD is spezialised on architecture. German
site
Commercial

BlenderCAD http://www.blender.org/ is a Blender script created
with the aim of expand the functionality of Blender, so that it
could be used for CAD. More info on the release of BlenderCAD
and the Blender discussion forum. Visit the BlenderCAD project
page for download, etc.
GPL

Bocad-3D http://www.bocad.de/ a CAD package for steel
constructing, also for glass, wood constructing, photorealistic
rendering, for roofs, facades, staircases and hand rails. German
site
Commercial

BRL-CAD http://brlcad.org/ In 1979, the U.S. Army Ballistic
Research Laboratory (BRL) expressed a need for tools that could
assist with the computer simulation and engineering analysis of
combat vehicle systems and environments. BRL software developers
began assembling a suite of utilities capable of interactively
displaying, editing, and interrogating geometric models. This
suite became known as BRL-CAD.
GPL

BricsCad http://www.bricscad.com/ a powerfull yet stable
professional CAD product for the Linux world based on the DWG
industry standard. BricsCad for Linux is supported on RedHat 9
and Fedora Core 1, 2 and 3, Suse and Mandrake. BricsCad requires
the windows emulator wine to run.
Commercial

CAD400 http://www.rmi.ch/index/de/software/cad400/cad400
_main.htm is a commercial CAD software with different additional
modules (architectural, mechanical, building services,
furnishings planning, kitchen and office design). German site.
Commercial

CADDA http://www.daveg.com/index_e.html CADDA is a 2D/3D
Engineering CAD/CAM software for toolmaking, mouldmaking and
mechanical egineering.
Commercial

CAM Expert http://www.ribbonsoft.com/ A CAD/CAM System for
engraving and LASER cutting. The ability to import/export DXF
files makes CAM Expert to a powerful interface between any CAD
system and your computer controlled machine.
Commercial

CEDRAT's Software http://www.cedrat-grenoble.fr/ a complete line
of CAD programs for electromechanical and thermal engineering.
Commercial

CollabCAD http://www.collabcad.com/ is a Java 2 based
distributed 2D&3D CAD/CAM and CAE software system being
developed by the Computer Aided Design Group of National
Informatics Centre, the IT Support professionals from India.
CYCAS http://www.cycas.de is an architectural CAD software for
drafting and design in 2 + 3 dimensions.
Commercial

Dr. Geo http://www.ofset.org/drgeo/ is a GTK interactive
geometry software. It allows one to create geometric figure plus
the interactive manipulation of such figure in respect with
their geometric constraints.
GPL

Fandango http://www.soffernet.com/jaime/fandango/ Scripted 3D
CAD engine. Fandango is planned to be a full featured CAD
program. It has a C++ core extensible by scripts. It still
doesn't do much CAD stuff. Currently the memory core for entity
management is ready, scripting works wonderfully thanks to the
ease of embedding and extending of Python, and the keyboard and
mouse control are half implemented.
GPL

freeCAD http://askoh.com/freecad/ is a basic 3D CAD with
advanced Motion Simulation capabilities. It is suitable for
anyone interested in learning 3D CAD and Motion Simulation for
free before using more sophisticated packages. Educators,
students and new engineers will find it ideal for the teaching
and learning of geometry, kinematics, dynamics, vibrations,
mechanisms, linkages, cams, machine design and physics. The
program runs on Windows, Macintosh PPC, Linux PC and other
Unix's. Assembly data are unchanged across platforms. StCAD
Framework required.
Freeware

Freedom*Of*Choice*CAD (LinuxCAD)
http://www.softwareforge.com/linux.html is advertised as a full
featured Computer Aided Design System which has typical CAD
package architecture. Before purchsing please read LinuxCAD
Impressions a LinuxCAD review, and Why I don't like LinuxCAD an
article concerning SoftwareForge/LinuxCAD's usenet policy.
Commercial

FREEdraft http://freeengineer.org/FREEdraft.html a simple 2D
mechanical cad system. It is not really ready to public use yet.

GPL

gCAD http://gaztelan.bi.ehu.es/~inigo/gcad/ a simple 2D CAD
program for the GNOME desktop environment. It is still in its
early development stage.
GPL

gCAD3D http://www.cadcam.co.at/freiter/gCAD3D.htm 3D - CADCAM -
software for Linux.
LGPL

GIGVIZ http://www.gig.nl/ 3D design visualization software for
industrial designers, mechanical engineers, architects and other
CAD users.
Commercial

GNU-CAD http://gnu-cad.sourceforge.net/ the goal is to create a
professional, but open-source CAD Package for linux/unix
systems. The system will eventually include a plugin interface
as well as scripting capability, possibly through pearl, bash or
other language. Development Status: Planning
GPL

gnu-cad-cam http://gnu-cad-cam.sourceforge.net/ will be a gnu
gpled integrated cad/cam package. It will support hexapod
machines, and conventional cnc machines.
GPL

GraphiteOne http://www.graphiteone-cad.com is a modular 2D/3D
CAD system designed for mechanical construction based on Python.

Free Personal Licence
and commercial

GtkCAD http://sourceforge.net/projects/gtkcad/ aims at
developing a modular, full featured, modern CAD/CAE/CAM system
for GNU/Linux. It will take advantage of parallel processing as
appropiate. It will depend on the free software libraries
GTK+,and Mesa3D. In stage of planning
GPL

Hydra http://www-xdiv.lanl.gov/XCM/Hydra/ distributed multi-user
computer aided physics and engineering package.
?Free for USA citizens?

ICAADS CAD Systems http://www.icaads.com/ a set of high-end
software for CAD and AEC applications.
Commercial

IDOL http://balder.prohosting.com/~projidol/ is a project to
create a 3D CAD software for GNU/Linux based on OpenGL and QT.
Very early stage of development.
GPL

JCad http://jcad.gnuchina.org/ is a smart 2D CAD application
written completely in Java. It uses the AutoCAD DXF, which is
the most widely-used 2D CAD format, as its native format.
GPL

LeoCAD http://leocad.gerf.org/ a CAD application that uses
plastic building bricks similar to those found in many toys.
This is the Linux port of the original MS Windows version, it
uses OpenGL for the graphics and allows the creation of very
large/complex models with a library of over 1300 different
parts.
GPL

lignumCAD http://sourceforge.net/projects/lignumcad/ will be a
parametric solid modeling tool oriented towards the design of
furniture.Development Status: Planning
GPL

ME10 http://www.cocreate.com/ a 2D professional, and fully
featured drafting and design package. ME10's parts concept
simplifies the design and modification of assemblies through a
hierarchical parts structure. A parts structure editor helps
maintain control even in the most complex assembly structures.
Commercial

MicroStation 95 http://www.bentley.com/products/microstation95/
professional software for enterprise-scale engineering projects.
It sets the stage for further software leadership in
building/design and plant engineering, geoengineering, civil
engineering, and mechanical engineering
Commercial, +academic use

MultiCAD
http://home.t-online.de/home/Pe.Schumacher/html/multicad.htm
a new project based on QT. The goal is to create a system
capable of reading multiple CAD file formats, ith command line
functionality similar to AutoCAD. German site.
GPL

oCADis http://www.nocrew.org/software/ocadis/ is a 2D CAD system
for Linux. It has all the basic drawing objects implemented:
line, arc, circle and more. It supports HPGL (export), DXF
(import and export), PostScript output.
GPL

OCTREE http://www.octree.de/ a complete drawing, modelling, and
visualisation package focused on architecture.
Free for Non-Commercial Use

OSCAD http://www.oscad.com/ is a project for an "Open Source
CAD" package based on OpenCascade, G3CS and Python.

PerlCAD http://www.perlcad.com/plan.html 2D CAD based on Perl in
a very early stage of development.

Piglet New!
http://www.omnisterra.com/walker/linux/piglet/intro.htm Piglet
is a 2-D engineering drawing editor that supports hierarchical
object description. It is inspired by Hewlett-Packard's
proprietary HP PIGLET (Personal Interactive Graphic Layout
EdiTor).

PowerCAD http://PowerCAD.sourceforge.net/ a project to develop a
fully functional 3D-CAD application for Linux/BSD. Currently in
stage of planning.
GPL

Pro/ENGINEER http://www.ptc.com/ PTC ported the mechanical CAD
system Pro/E Wildfire to Linux.
Commercial

PythonCAD http://www.pythoncad.org/ PythonCAD is a CAD package
written in Python. The PythonCAD project aims to produce a
scriptable, open-source, easy to use CAD package for Linux.
GPL

QCad http://www.qcad.org/a very powerful and easy to use CAD
program for Linux. It uses DXF as its standard file format and
it offers support for HPGL. While other CAD packages get
complicated to use and unclear, QCad stays comfortable and even
an absolute begginner can create professional drawings with a
minimum of effort.
GPL

QS Cad http://sourceforge.net/projects/qscad/ Pure Tcl/Tk EDA
Package. Schematic capture through to PCB layout. Has Part
editor as well as editor for Schematic and PCB Decals.
Development Status: Beta
GPL

SagCAD http://sagcad.sourceforge.jp/ SagCAD aims to be an easy
to use 2D CAD/CAM System with .dxf import/export, Ellipse,
Polyline, SPLINE, BSPLINE, possibility to glue external programs
via shell commands, CAM module (generation of ISO NC-Data),
import of NC files etc. Status: Beta
GPL

Sailcut CAD http://sailcut.sourceforge.net/ is a sail design and
plotting software. It allows you to design and visualise your
own sail and compute the accurate development of all panels in
flat sheets.
GPL

Speedikon XL http://www.iez.com/produkte/speedxl.htm new CAD
system for architectural purposes. Web page only available in
german.
Commercial

SynDEx http://www-rocq.inria.fr/syndex/ is a system level CAD
software, supporting the "Algorithm Architecture Adequation"
(AAA) methodology, for rapid prototyping and optimizing the
implementation of real-time embedded applications on
multicomponent architectures.
free for personal use

Synergy http://www.webersys.com/linuxsynergy.htm Weber Systems,
Inc. announced recently that its Synergy CAD/CAM software is now
available for the Linux O/S.
Commercial

ThanCAD http://thancad.sourceforge.net/ is a 2dimensional cad,
with raster inclusion capability and emphasis in engineering. It
is being written in Python and since it uses the wxPython
library, it will hopefully be platform independent! It will also
be easy to translate it to various languages. ThanCad is still
in very early state.
GPL

VariCAD http://www.varicad.com a mechanical engineering CAD
system. It includes functions for 3D modeling, 2D drawing,
editing, transformations, working with user defined objects,
block, group and symbol creating capabilities. The whole system
is very customizable and widely open. Free VariCAD Viewer now
available. Take a look at our VariCAD section!
Commercial (demo
version available)

Varimetrix http://www.varimetrix.com/ a suite of CAD/CAM/CAE
software modules for the design and manufacture of complex
mechanical components and assemblies.
Commercial

VARKON http://www.tech.oru.se/cad/varkon/ a completely open
general purpose interactive modeling system but also a
programming language, an object oriented database, a sculptured
surface modeler, fully parametric in 2D and 3D. It can even be
used as a 2D drafting system when this is needed. It is not
intended for the average end user but rather for those who wish
to develop CAD related functionality of their own.
GPL

VeX net http://sourceforge.net/projects/vexnet/ platform
independent, multi-user envirnoment (initially CAD and
modelling, then expand). 3D front end in OpenGL. Development
GPL

xSpace http://xspace.sourceforge.net/ CAD Software in a very
early stage of development. Sourcforge.net project page:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xspace/
GPL

.... and for the hobbyist:

XTrkCad http://www.sillub.com/ a computer aided layout design