Re: [News] Video Shows How Terribly Non-Standards-Compliant MS IE7 Is

  • Subject: Re: [News] Video Shows How Terribly Non-Standards-Compliant MS IE7 Is
  • From: "Oliver Wong" <owong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 18:13:04 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
"Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:1650267.kjlDqJnsco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
__/ [ Oliver Wong ] on Friday 18 August 2006 20:21 \__

While I'm sure I can find equivalent functionality in Opera plugins
(assuming Opera does have a plugin system) for most of my FF plugins, I do
have one or two somewhat obscure ones. For example, I'm studying Japanese,
and I have a FF plugin which, when I hover over a Japanese character
(kanji), will give me its translation, prounciation, and other helpful
information.

Opera has an extensive plugins system, which includes Widgets, in case you
like eye candy.

Yup, I installed and gave Opera a try over the weekend. It's pretty decent so far. The GUI looks a bit weird, but I suspect it's just a matter of habit. I like how you can put a one character prefix to urls to turn them into searches (e.g. "g Linux Advocacy" to google for "Linux Advocacy", or "a Linux for Dummies" to search Amazon.com for "Linux for Dummies"), but I wish Wikipedia and Webster Dictionary were built in prefix-triggered searches. There's probably a way to define your own prefixes, but I haven't figured it out yet.

The Widget system is interesting, and I've installed several of them. However, I don't like how they each take up a position in the Windows XP taskbar. I presume they'd show up similarly in KDE or Gnome. I also don't like how the pop up windows are restricted as MDI childs within the main Opera window. I have multiple monitors, and I sometimes want to have the main Opera window maximize on my central monitor, while dragging popups over to the monitor on my right hand side. Unfortunately, Opera treats the pop up as some sort of special pseudo-tabbed-pane-MDI-child thing.

And my Japanese translation Firefox plugin? I haven't been able to find an Opera equivalent yet. =(

I guess I might use Opera for my main browsing, and Firefox for browsing Japanese sites.

- Oliver