Re: help help help

__/ [ BearItAll ] on Friday 08 December 2006 10:12 \__

> peteware wrote:
>
>> hi all im new to linux can anyone tell me the best place to get some
>> help installing programs in linux or best books to read
>>

>> --
>> --------------------------------- --- -- -
>> Posted with NewsLeecher v3.7 Final
>> Web @ http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet
>> ------------------- ----- ---- -- -
>
> Your own Linux distro is the best place to start. Look in 'Help'. For
> example on Suse the first page you are presented with is where you can
> select the Administrators guide, where it tells you about adjusting your
> system and installing applications. Also can select User guide whicch tells
> you about using the commanline as well as many of the main applications.
>
> Which distro did you install?

I agree. A book about the distribution will equip you with skills that apply
to all/most distributions of Linux. They will also present familiar
screenshots.

Have a look here:

http://www.linux.org/docs/online_books.html

You can print them out and read them wherever and whenever you like. These
are PDF's.

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      | Watch your step, that soapbox is very slippery
Tasks: 113 total,   2 running, 110 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie