Re: [News] IBM Upgrades Dev Tools; Programmers Flocking to Linux and Java

  • Subject: Re: [News] IBM Upgrades Dev Tools; Programmers Flocking to Linux and Java
  • From: Hadron Quark <qadronhuark@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 14:38:31 +0100
  • Cancel-lock: sha1:9Ov5puzECJMbXZXb0waZF27kwSI=
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
BearItAll <spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> IBM Upgrades Rational Development Tools, Beefs Up Support For Open Source
>> Eclipse
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | IBM updated its Rational 7.0 desktop development tools on Tuesday,
>> | and for the first time offered commercial support for the open
>> | source Eclipse programmer's workbench as well as the Rational
>> | tools that plug into it.
>> |
>> | [...]
>> |
>> | Java is deeply entrenched in the enterprise and continues to
>> | attract programmers. Some 45% of programmers used Java at the
>> | end of November, compared with 40% using C and C++ and 32% using
>> | C#, Microsoft's answer to Java, according to a survey by Evans
>> | Data. Visual Basic, once Microsoft's most popular language, fell
>> | in usage 35% since the spring.
>> |
>> | "Microsoft has dominated languages since the early 1990s but we
>> | are seeing much more parity now," said John Andrews, president of
>> | Evans Data.
>> `----
>>
>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20061206/tc_cmp/196601778
>>

> Eclipse is just plain brillient, I don't often use an IDE, I prefer just
> having and editor window (vi), a compile console if its a compiled language
> and a run/debug console.
>
> But for programmers who don't like the commandline, Eclipse is in my view
> the best of the programmer IDEs. You have to give yourself time to work
> around it. For example the way it listed objects in the tree list I found
> confusing at first, but after a while I did see the logic in what they were
> doing.

Eclipse is getting far too kludgy IMO. Typical slow java app which is
losing its way.

It is no way near as handy and snappy to use as IDEs such as Visual
Studio. Obviously no where near as fast as emacs with ecb, cedet, cscope
and gdb.

Mind you I'm biased. It crashes under my Ubuntu Edgy :-;

--
Netscape is not a newsreader, and probably never shall be.
		-- Tom Christiansen