Re: [News] Review of Pardus Linux

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Monday 04 December 2006 07:39 \__
>
>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> Geico Caveman <spam@xxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> I responded to the OP's comment :
>>>
>>> "Prepare for massive Linux adoption in Turkey and Pakistan."
>>>
>>> Since you claim to have a functioning brain,
>>
>> Really?  Where did I claim that?
>>
>>> maybe you could interpret it
>>> for the rest of us, given the context.
>>
>> I presumed it was a typo.  Does your brain register typos?
>
> I wasn't suggesting that the lanauages (locales) are common. It's just
> that in the.. errrrmmm... the more Muslim world (I'm careful what I say
> about Turkey here), Linux is perceived as the way out of American
> domination... this morning I saw that the Iranian government is pushing
> further into Linux use... Pakistan is interested in the OLPC project...
> Turkey wants it in the government... anyhoo, sorry to have caused all that
> fuss.
>
> There are other Muslim countries that are increasingly finding themselves
> fascinated by the world that's opened thanks to FLOSS. To them,
> independence seems to be a prominent factor to weigh in their
> decsion...... Can't say the same about Bill's boyfriends (certain leaders
> I won't name).
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Roy

Well, you realize what led to the mess. Please do not club linguistically
disjoint countries together. Merely sharing a world view does not require a
commonality of languages.

And, I do not see how using Linux could possibly be seen as a way out
of "American domination" (whatever you mean by that). Most popular distros
(barring Debian) are almost entirely US based.

Trying to read political messages into a technically superior product that
is created differently is bound to lead people astray.