Re: Open Source Mobile Phones for Interoprability, Improvements

  • Subject: Re: Open Source Mobile Phones for Interoprability, Improvements
  • From: "Wayne McClaine" <gary.griffith@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 19 Dec 2006 08:30:21 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> How about an open mobile phone platform sir?
>
> http://jguk.org/2006/12/how-about-open-mobile-phone-platform_18.html

I think the author is asking for an open platform so he can play with
the features.

"Now what would be cool is if Sony published the source code, I'd love
to get the opportunity to write some features for this phone."

As I posted on your earlier "Linux Device" post, Motorola has been
doing Java-on-Linux phones for some time now.  There are JDK's (based
on J2ME) that anyone can use to create their own apps that access a
"file system", IP networks, and GPS sensors.  developer.motorola.com
gets you started.

Sony, on the other hand, doesn't have a good history of openess or
ceding control to users.

-Gary