Re: Is Mandriva a Lemon or What ?

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
__/ [ Ian Semmel ] on Sunday 17 December 2006 19:37 \__

A rainy Saturday afternoon, I bought a magazine with Mandriva 2007 and
decided to replace Ubuntu.

It didn't find my USB mouse (although this worked during the install) nor
did it find my network.

Perhaps I was just unlucky but I wiped it and replaced it with a copy of
Xandros which I had hanging around *which is OK).

Mandriva is an excellent distribution that's often underestimated. Hardware compatibility is a one-time effort. Once you solve it, it lasts for good. Bear in mind that OEM's tend to test just one O/S with their hardware; they work hand-in-glove with a software vendor. So I urge you to be fair in your assessment. By the way, Gael Duval sent me an E-mail yesterday. He still uses Mandriva.

Good luck,

Roy

had the exact same problem with the cd magazine issue. No mouse and network which was working during install.

Got he network to work even without the mouse but darned if I could find out what is wrong with the mouse. xorg.conf has the mouse in there.

So guess I will delete it but too bad because it looked pretty decent.

Jeanette