Re: Linux Advocacy -- choosing the best

\

>> This equivocation is exactly the point of my initial post. MySQL is not
>> equal with other databases, it is, in fact, worse.
>>
>> We need to evaluate "merit," not just preference. To advocate Linux, we
>> can't be hypocrites, we need to look clearly at the technology we
>> recommend and understand its strengths and weaknesses, and make an
>> INFORMED decision about its use. Even if we *like* something, we should
>> be able to leave it behind if it is not up to par.
>>
>> If we can't do this, then we might as well give up and use Windows or
>> Macintosh.
>
> True. FWIW, Slashdot has just had a MySQL versus Postgras benchmark
> posted. It's from the Fermi labs (no bias), but it's about 15 months old.
> It should still be at the front page.

Yea, I saw that, it was written almost 2 years ago, and it was based on
information pretty old at the time. It actually mentions the PostgreSQL 6.x
versions, that was so 1996. Why not just review mSQL as a representative of
MySQL. (Hint, they haven't been the same for almost a decade.)

The web article is junk, it presents to most superficial arguments with no
depth, measurements, or proof. It equivocates barely functional features of
MySQL with very solid and functional counterparts in PostgreSQL. It down
plays weaknesses in MySQL and amplifies weaknesses in PostgreSQL, many of
which are not even issues as of 8.x.