Re: [News] RISC OS Ponders Proper Open Source

  • Subject: Re: [News] RISC OS Ponders Proper Open Source
  • From: The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 13:10:56 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Mon, 11 Dec 2006 19:25:35 +0000
<5774409.4SjLfZnsDA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> __/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Monday 11 December 2006 18:49 \__
>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Mark Kent
>> <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>>  wrote
>> on Mon, 11 Dec 2006 09:14:31 +0000
>> <n4kv44-rjm.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> It's all a bit late, now, isn't it?  If they'd done this a decade ago,
>>> they might even be challenging for the desktop now, and even in the
>>> embedded space.
>>>
>>> Having said that, there will be a technology /after/ Linux.  I'd thought
>>> it would most probably be the GNU kernel, hurd, but as it just doesn't
>>> seem to be making that much progress, perhaps RiscOS might be it
>>> instead?
>>>
>>> How much longer will x86 be around for?
>>>

>> Unfortunately, indefinitely, I suspect.  Too much crap
>> depends on it.
>>
>> I'll admit to hoping otherwise -- even in the DOOM days,
>> most of the intellectual property had to do with the
>> artwork, room design, and to some extent the weapons
>> animations.                                  ^^^^^^^
>   ^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Ahhh... I see. That's why they keep going medieval and futuristic. Can you
> imagine Duke Nukem flinging rocks?

I could imagine Duke Nukem flinging something else best
left unsaid in a family newsgroup.  (If you've played
through the last level of Duke Nukem 3D, you might have
an idea of what I'm referring to here.  :-)  I'll leave
it at that.)

> Or playing Warcraft 1/2 with a nuclear
> reactor nest to the farm and the barracks?

Great.  Just what we need, a dragon laying an egg.

(Scene: a tri-towered nuclear reactor, all three of the
towers steaming.  Suddenly, a siege of dragons shows
up; one of them drops an object into a tower and they
all scatter before anyone can pick up a weapon.  An odd
noise ensues from the one tower, which stops steaming;
various lights start to blink red in the control room as
the reactor automatically shuts down.)

Johnson:   "Hey Joe!  There's something blocking the steam
   exhaust vent in Tower #3!"

Supervisor(Joe):  "Go see what it is Johnson; I'm busy here."
   (picks up news magazine)

(ten minutes later)

Joe: "What?"

Johnson: "Uh...it's an egg."

Joe: "What, a chicken egg?  That's getting..."

Johnson: "Well, sir, it's a bit larger than a chicken egg."

Joe: "And you can't just remove it?"

Johnson: "Well, we have shut down Tower #3; it's all I can do until
    the turbine cools down."

Joe: "Fine, fine.  Just remember to tell Sam; he should be here
    any minute now."  (picks up news magazine again)

Sam: "Ah, good evening!  Erm...what was that last bit?"

Joe: "Jonson's found an egg in his tower; it's shut down.  I'll let him
    tell it."

Johnson: "Well, you see..."

> Problem is, how can you handle a
> horde of dragons once they eclipse your town? Can you nuke them?

I suppose one could, if one wants to follow certain Vietnam-era advice
of destroying the village in order to save it.  I for one wouldn't
recommend such without a *lot* of fallout shelters. :-)

> I think
> that patents (like the above) are more effective in this cold war.
>
> "Hey. Hey. You can't send dragons over here. That's patent infringement."

    $ ./slightly-modified-adventure
    Welcome to Colossal Cave.  A pretty stream wanders by here,
    just north of a nuclear power plant looming in the distance.

    There is a mirror here.

    There is a small twig here.

    * > take mirror

    Taken.

    * > south

    You walk south towards the plant, on a coastline
    next to a pretty stream.  The cooling pumps, clearly
    visible, are just to your east.  These pumps lead
    to pipes exiting on the beach next to where you are
    standing.  It is possible to swim up the pipes.

    Suddenly, your way is blocked by a fierce green
    fire-breathing dragon.

    * > south

    The dragon blocks your path.

    Plant Cooling Release Exit

    A fierce green dragon is here.

    The dragon breathes fire at you, but misses.

    * > throw arrow at dragon

    You don't have a bow.

    * > throw knife at dragon

    The knife bounces off the scaly hide of the dragon,
    causing little if any damage.

    Plant Cooling Release Exit

    A fierce green dragon is here.

    There is a knife here.

    The dragon breathes fire at you, singing your hair.
    It could have been worse.

    * > get knife

    The dragon blocks your path.

    Plant Cooling Release Exit

    A fierce green dragon is here.

    There is a knife here.

    The dragon breathes fire at you, and barely misses
    your feet.  Ouch, that smarts.

    * > throw patent at dragon

    A patent lawyer shows up immediately, and shows a
    piece of paper at the fierce green dragon.

    The dragon, looking a bit confused, starts to read it,
    then with a very frightened look on its face vanishes
    in a (rather large) puff of greasy black smoke.

    Plant Cooling Release Exit

    A patent lawyer is here, holding his hand out.

    * > south

    The patent lawyer demands payment of $2,500 for
    banishment of the dragon, preferably in gold.

    Plant Cooling Release Exit

    A patent lawyer is here, holding his hand out.

    There is a knife here.

    * >

:-)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of
elderberries!" - Monty Python and the Holy Grail