Re: [News] RISC OS Ponders Proper Open Source

  • Subject: Re: [News] RISC OS Ponders Proper Open Source
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 19:25:35 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Monday 11 December 2006 18:49 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Mark Kent
> <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Mon, 11 Dec 2006 09:14:31 +0000
> <n4kv44-rjm.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> Could open source RISC OS bring back users?
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.drobe.co.uk/riscos/artifact1750.html
>>
>> It's all a bit late, now, isn't it?  If they'd done this a decade ago,
>> they might even be challenging for the desktop now, and even in the
>> embedded space.
>>
>> Having said that, there will be a technology /after/ Linux.  I'd thought
>> it would most probably be the GNU kernel, hurd, but as it just doesn't
>> seem to be making that much progress, perhaps RiscOS might be it
>> instead?
>>
>> How much longer will x86 be around for?
>>

> Unfortunately, indefinitely, I suspect.  Too much crap
> depends on it.
>
> I'll admit to hoping otherwise -- even in the DOOM days,
> most of the intellectual property had to do with the
> artwork, room design, and to some extent the weapons
> animations.                                  ^^^^^^^
  ^^^^^^^^^^

Ahhh... I see. That's why they keep going medieval and futuristic. Can you
imagine Duke Nukem flinging rocks? Or playing Warcraft 1/2 with a nuclear
reactor nest to the farm and the barracks? Problem is, how can you handle a
horde of dragons once they eclipse your town? Can you nuke them? I think
that patents (like the above) are more effective in this cold war.

"Hey. Hey. You can't send dragons over here. That's patent infringement."

I'll call the ID Software solicitor...

2 days later...

glitteringprizes

Ka-ching.

Best wishes,

                        ~~ Kind greetings and happy holidays!

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Open Source Othello: http://othellomaster.com
Cpu(s):  21.0% user,   2.9% system,   1.0% nice,  75.2% idle