Re: [News] The Guardian on Microsoft's Shot in Own Foot

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Sunday 31 December 2006 17:54 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
> spike1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <spike1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> did eloquently scribble:
>>> What if a Web host wished to share the load between the Linux and Windows
>>> accounts? It's a case of redundancy, too.
>>
>> If the machine fails, the machine fails.
>> Most redundancy in server farms is to reroute in case of hardware failure.
>> be it RAID (it's what the R is for), or clustering for reliability.
>>
>> If the operating system crashes due to a software bug, they shouldn't be
>> using an unreliable operating system in the first place.
>>
>> (sharing the load between a windows and linux host)
>> On the same machine, that's not sharing the load, that's more than
>> doubling it.
>
> Where there´s an advantage for windows in virtualisation, it´s that
> when it crashes (and it will), then it doesn´t take down the whole
> machine.  This is solving a peculiarly windows problem, since linux and
> other proper operating systems just don´t suffer from this problem.
>
> As you say, virtualisation in itself is not great from a
> carbon/green/performance/cost/power perspective.  Unless it´s windows,
> because you need fewer computers for the same degree of redundancy.
> Also, you get to remotely reboot rather than doing it locally, I
> suspect.

The funny thing is that Hovsepian, being a 'bit' bound to his 'contract',
foresees SLES running virtualised under Windows. Yes! The stability of
Win32. Brilliant. Can it even be reboot remotely (without hassles)?

Here's a platform-agnostic guy who recently called Microsoft "Loser of the
Year 2006"

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/career/article.php/3650656

--
                        ~~ Kind greetings and happy holidays!

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "In hell, treason is the work of angels"
Tasks: 122 total,   2 running, 119 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie