Re: [News] At Least 8 Million Ubuntu Users

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> __/ [ Lintard ] on Saturday 30 December 2006 17:17 \__

>>> What does /MILES/ ahead really mean? If you mean security, power and
>>> openness, sure. However, Linux does not have a huge market share, at
>>> least on the desktop.
>>

>> Forcefeeding affects the public's perception. Astroturfing as means of
>> defeating OS/2, for example, is something that will never be forgotten. Any
>> form of brainwash can be offensive not only to existing 'customers', but
>> also to prospective ones. Why do you think Coca Cola's adverts are so
>> subtle?

Roy, you may be right, but this still does not explain what you meant by
being /MILES/ ahead. A comparison - but on what basis?

>>> Marketing, there you go! Linux certainly has great prospects but little
>>> presence in the market and little promotion. COLA, that is supposed to
>>> discuss more about Linux ends up discussing a lot about Microsoft
>>> products. Someone's got to promote Linux and erase the misconceptions in
>>> general public's mind. General public still thinks Linux is for
>>> hobbyists.

>>> Who cares about Microsoft, at least here? Do you?
>>
>> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/20764d8b5c873b01
>>
>> "Windows is the problem; Linux is the solution - sounds like a good
>> basis for advocacy to me, and AFAICT that is the crux of Roy's posts.
>>
>> It's certainly more relevant than an Astroturfing MS apologist making
>> personal attacks."

Unfortunately, I dont agree. I would rather assist people with using
Linux for the flexibility and power of the OS rather than blaming their
current OS, if different, and then prompting the move.

>> Also see (posted a couple of hours ago):
>>
>> http://boycottnovell.com/2006/12/30/microsoft-role/

How good/bad is Novell-MS deal, time will tell.