Re: [News] At Least 8 Million Ubuntu Users

__/ [ B Gruff ] on Saturday 30 December 2006 14:11 \__

>> He has a lot of nerve.  How are they going to out-innovate anybody when
>> they're so short of ideas they have to make public statements that Vista
>> is the source of their features?
>>
>> "Vista is introducing alot of new features and I'm pretty sure we can (or
>> will very shortly) replicate most of those features in Ubuntu."
>>
>> http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-161670.html
>>
>> Well?
>
> Well, DFS, we've discussed this previously.
>
> Your link is actually to a discussion by a group of people LAST APRIL,
> noting what the future release of Vista would contain, and debating how
> well (or otherwise) the "new" features promised for Vista were ALREADY
> (last April) implemented in Linux, and how much these Linux features and
> others would have progressed by the time Vista was released.
>
> Face it DFS - for the vast majority of people in the world, there is still
> no such think as Vista.  As a private individual, you STILL can't buy it!

GNU/Linux is not ahead of Windows. It is /MILES/ ahead of Windows and, to a
large extent, Mac OS X too. Why is Linux misunderstood? Because it has no
marketing department. Linux attracts the best of minds and benefits from
collaboration of minds, many of which are prominent in academia and are thus
masters of their domain (e.g. security).

As for Vista, there is little advancement in it that bear any significance.
The "XP" in "Vista eXPerience" should serve as a hint. Longhorn is dead. It
was scraped. Gone in 2005. RIP. No WinFS (which Linux has from
PalmSource/ACCESS by the, way, under an Open Source licence), no SOA,
nothing of value. Oh! Except for encrypted signals that help Holywood sell
and resell content to a poorer end user (AKA mindless peon with minimal
wage).

--
                        ~~ Kind greetings and happy holidays!

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows: as good as Richard Stallman's dental
higiene
  3:20pm  up 73 days  1:34,  6 users,  load average: 0.03, 0.23, 0.30