Re: [News] 3-D Dekstops - Plenty Going for Linux

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Two views of the 3D desktop
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>> Croquet is a completely different beast. Foregoing the standard
>> WIMP-style interface, Croquet focuses on an immersive 3D networked
>> environment. A direct descendant of the MMORPG aesthetic, Croquet
>> replaces the desktop metaphor with an immersive world. The mouse
>> pointer becomes an avatar. Applications become interactive objects.
>> Even "legacy" X11 applications are transformed into collaborative
>> environments, allowing multiple people to work or play
>> simultaneously.
> `----
>
> http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/blogs/two_views_of_3d_desktop
>
> How long before somebody steals (innovates) the idea and calls it
> Bob3D?

The Croquet interface looks like it was "borrowed" from 1993, from Jurassic
Park's famous "This is Unix!  I know this!" scene.
http://www.opencroquet.org/about_croquet/screenshots/slideshow19.html

> Looking Glass on Ubuntu
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>> The Sun's Looking Glass Project for a 3D GUI running on
>> Ubuntu Linux (Dapper).

Last week I downloaded, installed and ran Looking Glass for Windows.  Not
fully-baked.