Re: No Vapourware from Linux This Year

  • Subject: Re: No Vapourware from Linux This Year
  • From: "Larry Qualig" <lqualig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 27 Dec 2006 11:32:57 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Vaporware '06: Return of the King
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | 8. The "IPod Killer"
> |
> | Every time we hear about a new portable audio device, it's touted
> | as the magic bullet that will end the iPod's reign once and for
> | all.
> |
> | Oh, you mean that thing? The one with the ugly design and clunky
> | user interface? Does it at least work with iTunes?
> |
> | Microsoft's Zune was supposed to do the trick, but it's sitting
> | on the shelves (even the SanDisk Sansa is selling better than Zune)w
> | hile the kids are all enjoying their freshly unwrapped, shiny new
> | iPods.
> |
> | Note to everyone: It's a White Wire World. Get over it.
> `----
>
> http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,72350-1.html?tw=wn_story_page_next1

Excellent. So I guess we won't be seeing and posts in 2007 announcing
all of these Linux based "iPod killers" the way we did in 2006.

 The iPod killer could be a Penguin

<quote>
The Wizpy comes with a 60GB hard drive and measures in at 8.4 x 4.2 x
1.2cm. A re-worked version of Linux acts as the primary operating
system...
</quote>

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/story/6313/

The 'Linux iPod' is Also a Portable Linux PC on USB

<quote>
Asian Linux distributor TurboLinux is readying an iPod-like like device
that doubles as a Linux boot drive.
<quote>

iRiver ships Linux portable media players

<quote>
iRiver has formally introduced its Linux-based Portable Media Player
(PMP) family in the UK. The device maker also said this week that it
has cut the price of its H series colour digital music players. And
using open standards as much as possible is going to make these real
keepers.
</quote>