Re: Pre-installed Workstations

__/ [ John A. Bailo ] on Monday 25 December 2006 07:59 \__

http://cnet.nytimes.com/Dell_Precision_490n_Workstation_Xeon_5110_1_6GHz_80GB_1GB/4505-3118_7-31895727.html

http://www.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/precn_n?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&redirect=1

> "Precision Open-Source Desktops with Linux
>
> Dell PrecisionTM  open-source n Series1 workstations deliver maximum
> workstation performance. Smart for businesses with proprietary software
> images or special Linux needs, these systems are available with *factory*
> *installed* Linux."

Yes, but these are /high-end/ machines. It's nothing new. I grabbed the
following screenshot in March (this year):

http://www.schestowitz.com/temp/screenshots/dell-gives-choice.jpg

Also pay careful attention to the prices. Dell does not want to permit Linux
to bite into Microsoft's territory. The prices favour dual-boot systems or
penalise (monetarily) for snubbing Microsoft.

Microsoft would squeeze Dell's balls if they offered $300 laptops with
Opensuse/SLED preinstalled. Servers are servers, so the same rules don't
apply. Microsoft has already lost that battle. Google buys many/most/all of
its Red Hat servers (they use a modified kernel) from Dell, with whom they
have other agreements and exchanges of favours (e.g. Google Package).

--
                        ~~ Kind greetings and happy holidays!

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: 111111 X 111111 = 12345654321
Cpu(s):  21.4% user,   3.0% system,   1.1% nice,  74.5% idle